To request a change of status to F-1 while inside the US, you will need to schedule an appointment with the International Student Advisor to review your case. You must be "in status" at the time you request the change to F1. Before the appointment, please do the following:
- Choose a program of study.
- Comply with all the application and admission requirements of the program.
- Pay the application fee of $ 150.00.
- Provide evidence of full support that will be shown on your I-20.
- Schedule appointment with the ISS Office and bring the following:
- Form I-539 (For instructions click here)
VIU will then do the following:
- Process an I-20 for your program based on the application form. You will read and then sign the I-20 form.
- Review the complete application and provide mailing instructions.
Documents to be send for the change of status request:
- Form I-539
- Check payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” for $290.00
- A receipt of SEVIS Fee for $200.00. Please check www.fmjfee.com for more details.
- Copy of your Passport pages showing both the picture and expiration date
- Copy of your U.S. visa page
- Copy of the front and back of the I-94 card (the white card normally put in your passport)
- Copies of your family’s I-94 cards (front and back of the cards)
- Form I-20 (Change of status requested)
- Financial support documents
- Original Bank statement or Copy of W-2 form showing financial proof
- Original I-134 Form(Affidavit of Support) or the Statement of Financial Support Form
- Letter from you to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) stating why you wish to change status
** If you are traveling outside the U.S., you can do the change of status on re-entry if you take the I-20 with you and obtain an F-1 visa in your passport then you can enter the U.S. as an F-1 student.
Note: If you are applying for a change of status from J1 to F1 – YOU ARE INELIGIBLE TO APPLY IF YOU ARE SUBJECT TO TWO-YEAR HOME-COUNTRY PHYSICAL PRESENCE REQUIREMENT [212(e)]
*Changing from B2 to F1 has become increasingly difficult; we strongly recommend the students to go back to their home countries and apply for F1 visa at the US Embassy. Be sure to keep a photocopy of each item you send for your records. Send everything by “Return Receipt Requested/ Certified U.S. mail.”
The Mailing address is:
2501 S. State Highway 121 Business
Lewisville, TX 75067