Virginia International University (VIU) was established in 1998 with the goal of providing affordable and high-quality higher education for students preparing to meet the ever-evolving needs and opportunities of the 21st century. VIU is an independent academic establishment combining a liberal arts tradition with emphasis on career orientation. The university offers degree programs at undergraduate and graduate levels as well as full and part-time certificates in a variety of professional and technical fields. VIU is fully committed to creating universal access to quality education, so that individuals from all sectors of society can realize their personal and professional educational aspirations and fulfill their true potential. Our aim is to enable students to attain academic success while gaining the personal confidence they need to move into professional or technical employment or to further their studies.
Since its founding in 1998, Virginia International University has made significant progress in operating an institution of higher education. Following a demand of rapidly growing student population, VIU expanded its programs, campus, staff and faculty in less than 15 years. Today about 400 students from more than 60 countries chose to pursue their education at VIU. Five different schools at VIU offer a variety of academic and non-academic degrees at undergraduate and graduate levels on campus and online: the School of Business, School of Computer Information Systems, School of English Language Studies, School of Online Education, and the School of Continuing Education.
Several solid achievements have enabled VIU to meet a goal of providing a high quality of education to our students. Here are several of the milestones met by Virginia International University:
- 1998 – VIU was authorized to use the name “Virginia International University” and granted authority to start a Master of Business Administration (MBA) Program by the State Council of Higher Education of Virginia (SCHEV).
- 1999 – VIU was incorporated as a non-profit corporation and obtained tax exemption as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization by the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS). VIU received authorization to offer diploma and certificate programs in business and computer science by SCHEV.
- 2000 – VIU was granted permission to issue I-20s for F-1 and M visa applicants from the Immigration and Naturalization Service. The SCHEV awarded VIU degree-granting authority for the MBA Program. VIU opened 2 undergraduate degree programs: Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) and Bachelor of Computer Science (BCS).
- 2003 – VIU was authorized by SCHEV to offer our second Master’s program; a Master’s of Science in Information System (MIS).
- 2006 – VIU held its first commencement on May 4 th with 20 graduates in attendance at the Fairfax County Country Club.
- 2008 – VIU was granted Accreditation from the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges & Schools (ACICS), which is recognized by the US Department of Education and Council on Higher Education Administration (CHEA). VIU opened a third Master’s Degree Program – a Master of Computer Science (MCS). On April 23 rd the Virginia General Assembly House Joint Resolution Committee presented the university with a letter “Commending Virginia International University on the occasion of its accreditation and 10th anniversary.”
- 2009 – VIU launched new programs: Master of Arts in TESOL, and Graduate Certificate in TESOL.
- 2010 – VIU was granted approval to offer degree programs online. The School of Online Education was established.
- 2011 – VIU successfully received ACICS re-certification in December. New TOEFL testing center was started at VIU after ETS approval had been received.
- 2012 – In February VIU was visited by ACICS and approved to offer all the programs online.