Virginia International University (VIU) was established in 1998 with the goal of providing affordable and high-quality education for students preparing to meet the ever-evolving needs and opportunities of the 21st century. Since its founding, Virginia International University has made significant progress in operating an institution of higher education. Following the demand of a rapidly growing student population, VIU expanded its programs, campus, staff, and faculty. Today students from more than 100 countries chose to pursue their education at VIU. Eight different schools at VIU offer a variety of academic and non-academic degrees at undergraduate and graduate levels on campus and online: the School of Business, School of Computer Information Systems, School of Education, School of Public and International Affairs, School of Language Studies, School of Online Education, School of Test preparation and the School of Professional Education and Development.
Several solid achievements have enabled VIU to meet its goal of providing a high quality of education. Here are several of the milestones met by Virginia International University:
- 1998 – VIU was authorized to use the name “Virginia International University” and granted authority to start a Master of Business Administration (MBA) Program by the State Council of Higher Education of Virginia (SCHEV).
- 1999 – VIU was incorporated as a non-profit corporation and obtained tax exemption as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization by the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS). VIU received authorization to offer diploma and certificate programs in business and computer science by SCHEV.
- 2000 – VIU was granted permission to issue I-20s for F-1 and M Visa applicants from the Immigration and Naturalization Service. SCHEV awarded VIU degree-granting authority for the MBA program. VIU opened two undergraduate degree programs: Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BBA) and Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BCS).
- 2003 – VIU was authorized by SCHEV to offer its second master’s program: Master of Science in Information Systems (MIS).
- 2006 – VIU held its first commencement on May 4th with 20 graduates in attendance at the Fairfax County Country Club.
- 2008 – VIU was granted accreditation from the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges & Schools (ACICS), which is recognized by the US Department of Education and Council on Higher Education Administration (CHEA). VIU opened a third master’s degree program: Master of Science in Computer Science (MCS). On April 23rd, the Virginia General Assembly House Joint Resolution Committee presented the university with a letter “Commending Virginia International University on the occasion of its accreditation and 10th anniversary.”
- 2009 – VIU launched new programs: Master of Arts in TESOL and Graduate Certificate in TESOL.
- 2010 – VIU was granted approval to offer degree programs online. The School of Online Education was established.
- 2011 – VIU successfully received ACICS re-certification in December. New TOEFL Testing Center was started at VIU after receiving ETS approval had been received.
- 2012 – In February VIU was visited by ACICS and approved to offer all its programs online.
- 2013 – VIU opened its School of Public & International Affairs with a Master of Science in International Relations and a Master of Public Administration. VIU opened the School of Education with a Master of Education. The Center for Democracy & International Affairs was launched under the SPIA.
- 2014 – VIU opened three new degree programs: MS in Accounting, MS in Project Management, & MS in Applied Linguistics; VIU launched one new graduate certificate in Project Management.
- 2015 – VIU opened new Campus at 4401 Village Drive Fairfax, VA and relocated headquarters and entire university operations; VIU was recognized as an authorized provider by the Project Management Institute.
- 2016 – VIU successfully received ACICS re-certification in May; VIU launched several MBA concentrations including: Leadership Management, Management Consulting, Contract Management and Executive MBA. The School of Business also launched new BBA concentrations including Project Management, Leadership Management, Management Consulting and Contract Management.