Virginia International University (VIU) offers a unique opportunity to acquire an excellent, multi-disciplinary education at an affordable cost by offering students access to scholarships. VIU has been attracting individuals who take their VIU experiences into their own cultures, share their knowledge with future generations, and launch successful careers. Thus, there are several different types of scholarships available based on exemplary personal skills, academic achievement, extracurricular participation, on-campus work, and residency.Types of Scholarships and Eligibility
Current and prospective students are eligible to apply. Students who are enrolled in any of VIU’s undergraduate, graduate, and language studies programs as full-time students are eligible to apply for a scholarship if requirements are met. Students enrolled in the language studies program (ex. ESL program) as part-time students are also eligible to apply. Prospective students have the chance to apply for scholarships during their application process for admission to VIU.
VIU currently offers several types of scholarships to assist prospective and current students.
|Current Students||Prospective Students|
Scholarship application deadlines are listed below. Returning students are eligible to apply for a scholarship prior to Spring, Summer I, or Fall semesters. All applications and supporting documentation must be received by 11:30 PM EST on the day of the application deadline. Incomplete and late submissions will not be considered.
|Fall 2017||Spring 2017|
|Types of Scholarship available||All types of scholarships||All types of scholarships|
|Who can apply?||Local & International students||Local & International students|
|Programs||Graduate, undergraduate and ESL programs||Graduate, undergraduate and ESL programs|
|Application opens||April 7||September 1|
|Application deadline||May 12||October 6|
|Results||June 12||November 3|
|Classes Start||August 28||TBD|
Students must apply for admission to Virginia International University, or be currently enrolled as full-time students, before they can be eligible to apply for any scholarship.
To apply for a scholarship, students must follow these steps:
- New students: Apply for admissions at VIU
- Browse the scholarship opportunities
- Choose up to two types of scholarship
- Review the requirements for the scholarship application
- Apply online (applicant portal or student portal)
- Upload your documents via applicant portal or student portal.
Once the application form and all the supporting documents are received, students will receive a confirmation email.
All submissions must be scanned, color copies of the original document. Samples of these documents may include transcripts, diplomas, certificates, and test scores. Photocopies are NOT considered acceptable documentation. If any document is issued in the applicants’ native language, they must provide both the original document and a translation of the document in English. Translated documents must be notarized. VIU has the right to request original documentation. Submission of fabricated or false documents will result in disqualification from future scholarship application.
Scholarship Rules and Regulations
1.1 Students who are awarded a scholarship must reapply each year if they want to be considered for the scholarship for the next academic year. There is no guarantee that the scholarship will be awarded for the following year. 1.2 Students are eligible to apply for up to two scholarship types, but they will be eligible to receive only one scholarship per academic year. 1.3 All documents must be received by the application deadline. Incomplete applications will automatically be denied. 1.4 Scholarship application period opens three times a year (Spring I, Summer I, and Fall I). 1.4.1 Returning students are eligible to apply for scholarships for Spring, Summer, or Fall semesters. 1.4.2 The New Horizon scholarship accepts applications for Spring, Summer, or Fall. 1.5 Academic merit holds the highest weight in the review of most scholarship applications. In the case of a tie, the committee will rely on this hierarchy to make their award decision. 1.6 Applicants must submit one application for each scholarship for which they wish to apply.
- Scholarships are awarded as credit towards tuition only. The award amount will be divided into installments and the credit will be deducted from the total tuition charged for each semester.
- Scholarships cannot be awarded to applicants who receive any VIU discount or outside scholarship funding besides Financial Aid (e.g., government scholarships, academic collaboration-related funding, etc.).
- Cumulative GPA can be rounded one decimal place for eligibility requirements.
- Student must maintain the requirements for the scholarship for which they applied in order to continue receiving the scholarship for the subsequent semester.
- Evidence of English language proficiency is required depending on the type of scholarship.
- Students must be in good standing with the university in order to apply for any scholarship.
- Scholarship awardees must agree to sign a Media Release Form authorizing VIU to use their picture, video, and/or testimonial for scholarship marketing purposes.
- VIU full-time staff is only eligible to apply for the VIU Staff Workforce Development Scholarship.
- Students who are awarded with a scholarship during their last semester cannot apply the full awarded amount to one semester; only half of the scholarship amount will be applied to the student’s last semester of study.
- Students who apply for Work on Campus scholarship will be automatically granted the award if eligibility requirements are met. However, VIU has the right to retrieve the amount awarded for the Work on Campus scholarship within 30 consecutive days if a student resigns or is let go from the position.
- Students must be enrolled full time in one of VIU’s on-ground degree or language programs in order to receive the scholarship award.
- VIU has the right to request original documentation. Submission of fabricated or false documents will result in immediate dismissal of the application and will disqualify the individual from applying to the scholarship program in the future. Documents submitted for application purposes will not be returned to the applicant.
- There is no guarantee that a scholarship will be awarded solely because the applicant meets the requirements, eligibility, and/or fulfilment of the scholarship criteria. All applicants should submit their application and follow proper procedures.
The scholarship selection process begins immediately after the application period ends. All applications are initially screened for completion and criteria assessment. Once the application is deemed complete, the application will be available for the Scholarship Committee’s review. Each application is reviewed and assessed on an individual basis.
Selected applicants will be invited for an interview with the members of the Scholarship Committee as part of the selection process. The interview will be held at VIU campus or via Skype. Applicants may bring additional supporting materials to the interview if they wish.
Scholarship awards will be determined by the Scholarship Committee prior to the first day of classes for the semester to which the student applied. Awardees will be notified by email.
To qualify to apply for a scholarship, applicants must be enrolled full-time in any undergraduate, graduate, or language program at VIU. Applicants must also meet all required criteria for the specific scholarship that they are applying for. As long as an applicant meets these qualifications, they are welcome to apply for the scholarship.
No. Applicants who have not yet been accepted to the university may also apply to the scholarship program. However, scholarship award will be applied upon enrolment.
The scholarship application deadlines are posted on the scholarship website. Applicants are urged to check this page for the specific deadlines in the semester they plan to apply.
Yes. Students are welcome to apply for up to two scholarships per semester although students are only eligible to receive one scholarship per semester.
+ - 6.) If I meet the minimum criteria for a scholarship, am I guaranteed a scholarship? Click to collapse
No. Scholarship selection is made based on a variety of factors. An objective analysis of all aspects of the application will be made when making award decisions. Just because an applicant is qualified for the scholarship to which they applied, there is no guarantee that they will be awarded the scholarship.
All supporting documents must be scanned and uploaded to the applicant or student portal.
+ - 8.) I received a scholarship last academic year. Do I have to reapply to be considered for the next year? Click to collapse
Yes. The VIU Scholarship Program is an annual tuition scholarship, and the award will expire on its anniversary. Students must reapply for the scholarship if they wish to be considered to receive the scholarship again.
The application process to reapply for a scholarship is exactly the same as the process you completed the first time you applied. Submit a completed application form along with the supporting documentation prior to the application deadline.
+ - 10.) What is the minimum cumulative GPA must I have to be considered for a scholarship? Click to collapse
The minimum cumulative GPA to be considered for a scholarship at VIU is 2.75 on a 4.0 scale. Please note that each scholarship has its own specific required GPA requirement so applicants are encouraged to verify the requirement prior to applying.
+ - 11.) . My test scores are expired. Can I still submit the expired scores with my application? Click to collapse
TOEFL and IELTS scores expire 2 years after the test date. However, we are able to consider the test scores for a period of two years after their expiration date.
No. Scholarship awards are given as a credit towards your semester tuition.
Virginia International University
4401 Village Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030
United States of America
Tel: (703) 591-7042 ext. 312
Fax: (703) 591-7048